Improving the health of our community in all we do
Northeast Georgia Health System (NGHS)is a non-profit community health system on a mission of improving the health of our community in all we do. Our team cares for more than 1 million people across the region through four hospitals and a variety of outpatient locations. Northeast Georgia Medical Center (NGMC) has campuses in Gainesville, Braselton, Winder and Dahlonega - with a total of more than 700 beds and more than 1,100 medical staff members representing more than 50 specialties. NGHS also encompasses Northeast Georgia Physicians Group, a multi-specialty group with more than 65 locations, and The Heart Center of Northeast Georgia Medical Center, a cardiology practice with more than 15 locations.
The Senior Counsel performs legal services, represents and supports Northeast Georgia Health System with regard to hospital-physician relationships under the direction and supervision of the Chief Legal Officer, or his/her delegate, including without limitation, business transactions, innovation, research, grants, certificate of need, enterprise risk management, support of clinically integrated networks, accountable care organizations, and similar or related entities; physician contracting, including negotiation and drafting of professional services agreements between Northeast Georgia Medical Center and medical groups; physician recruitment; physician employment; business and non-physician contracting; corporate, commercial, physician and business transactions; loans and financing transactions; the formation, operation and dissolution of joint ventures and other business organizations; physician practice acquisitions; legal/regulatory and compliance; and licensure, certification and accreditation.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
Job Specific and Unique Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) and an active license to practice (Georgia license or ability to apply for and obtain Georgia license)
- 5-8 years of relevant health law experience in a law firm practice and/or in-house is required. Consideration will be given to qualified candidates advising health care institutions with a combined total of eight or more years' experience.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Outstanding analytical, negotiating, drafting and writing ability. Pragmatic business acumen with the ability to recognize the broader consequences of legal advice.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication. Innovative thinking that adds value for clients and finds creative solutions to complex legal issues.
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state laws relating to healthcare, including but not limited to Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement, HIPAA, AKS, self-referral prohibitions, privacy, security, and fraud and abuse.
- Experience in managing, drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex contracts.
- Good working knowledge of the key operational and strategic issues and challenges currently affecting hospitals, medical foundations, health systems, providers, health care delivery organizations, and/or integrated delivery systems.
- Assists in the handling of administrative and legal proceedings before federal and state agencies and courts.
- Negotiates, reviews, drafts and interprets contracts, with an emphasis on hospital-physician relationships.
- Negotiates and drafts the settlement of claims and/or litigation.
- Researches and drafts memoranda, opinions and correspondence on legal issues.
- Oversees, manages and works collaboratively on matters assigned to outside counsel engaged to represent or assist NGHS, including review, direction and supervision of outside counsel's legal work.
- Expertly analyzes and applies state and federal licensure laws related to health care entities and licensed health care professionals, including fraud and abuse laws, including without limitation licensing, Anti Kickback Statute (AKS), Stark Law, Medicare and Medicaid requirements.
Since first opening its doors in Gainesville in 1951, Northeast Georgia Medical Center has added hospital campuses in Braselton, Barrow and Dahlonega - and become Georgia's most awarded hospital. Some recognitions include being named to these lists:
America's 50 Best Hospitals- Healthgrades
100 Top Hospitals- Truven Health Analytics
100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs- Beckers Hospital Review
America's Top Quality Providers- Carechex
Atlanta's Top 150 Workplaces- Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Healthcare's Most Wired Hospitals and Health Systems- Hospitals & Health Networks magazine
NGMC has also been recognized in recent years as Georgia's #1 Hospital for overall hospital care, overall surgical care, heart care, orthopedic surgery, women's care and more.