At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
In 2013, AstraZeneca acquired Pearl to expand and strengthen its respiratory products portfolio, We have made strides in bringing therapies to asthma patients. Our mission and vision are to develop differentiated therapeutics for widely prevalent respiratory disease conditions, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), by utilizing a proprietary drug delivery platform and existing therapeutic agents administered in metered-dose inhalers (MDIs). Join us as a Scientist at our South San Francisco site, which is located in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, a perfect environment for employees who want to feel close to big city life yet avoid long commutes and congested streets. It is the birthplace of biotechnology and located on a peninsula, with beautiful views of the bay, a vibrant working-class community, which includes numerous restaurants, parks and a marina.
The Bay Area has mild winters and dry, cool summers, and striking skyline, which makes for a wonderful place to live or to work. All Bay Area transportation methods are easily assessible, excellent affordable neighborhoods, which makes for an ideal location for AstraZeneca. We are dedicated to crafting a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
What you'll do:
- Own the design and execution of experimental work to support product development, formulation, and core knowledge of research programs.
- Supervise GXP and R&D process and/or analytical method development and understanding of powder formulations.
- Responsible for identifying data and provide solutions.
- Exemplify good documentation practices.
- Independently prepare technical reports, draft standard operating procedures (SOPs), change controls, GXP investigations, and/or CoAs to summarize data and document experimental conclusions.
- Coach Research Associates and Associate Scientists.
- Responsible for evaluating data for trends indicative of product performance, method performance, or process performance.
- Responsible for communicating project status and concerns to management.
- Lead cross-site and cross-functional collaborations.
- Chip in to CMC project teams and documentation.
- Development of novel formulations for inhaled drug products using particle engineering techniques.
- PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemical Engineering or equivalent with 2+ years of pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry experience at different stages of development.
- Understanding of pharmaceutical particle engineering processes such as spray drying and micronization is highly desirable
- Experience and expertise in basic analytical techniques such as HPLC, UV/Vis, FTIR, Raman, PXRD is highly desirable. Understanding of the following techniques a plus: thermal analysis (differential and isothermal calorimetry, thermogravimetry), aerosol and powder characterization techniques such as cascade impaction, moisture sorption isotherm, bulk density, specific surface area, particle size analysis.
- Required ability to analyze, summarize, present data and provide recommendations for next steps.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
- Team-oriented work style and effective partner leadership skills.
- Validated independence to develop and execute new experimental protocols with minimal mentorship.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills .
- Experience with cell based, biochemical and or immunochemical methodology is a plus.
As part of the regular duties for this job, a candidate must:
- Be able to wear respiratory protection for shifts up to the length of time prescribed by the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Be able to work with various chemicals identified under California Proposition 65, once given accurate protective equipment.
- Have sufficient dexterity to don and doff clean room clothing over normal work attire.
- Be capable of operating a computer and sitting for extended periods.
- Some lifting required (not more than 50 lbs.)
- Must be willing to shave facial hair if applicable for respirator use as part of lab responsibilities as needed.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, groundbreaking our cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join journey.Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.Find out more on Social Media:LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca/?hl=en