Moderna is seeking a Scientist to join its Immuno-epigenetics team. Reporting into the Executive Director of Immuno-epigenetics, the Scientist is responsible for the design and execution of epigenetic and immune experiments within the Moderna mRNA Platform in a dynamic and highly interdisciplinary environment. The Scientist identifies and characterizes innate immune responses and cellular state in various therapeutic areas (Oncology, Infectious Diseases, others), leading internal efforts and managing external collaborations to identify immune system involvement during mRNA therapies.
The successful candidate must have a very strong foundation in immunology and/or epigenetics and transcription (as documented by publications in peer-reviewed journals), and a solid foundation in chromatin and sequencing techniques, flow cytometry and/or cell sorting, cellular biology, molecular biology, and biochemistry. This position has significant visibility and potential for growth in a dynamic organization.
Here's What You'll Do:
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Bring your passion for science and knowledge of epigenetics and immunology to design strategies, identify potential epigenetic targets build both in vivo and in vitro assays to test their impact on immune outputs
- Collaborate with internal groups in RNA sciences, protein engineering, chemistry, pharmacology and biology to advance mRNA therapeutics and design immunology and chromatin studies to characterize epigenetics formulated mRNA.
- Maintain accountability for project success and results delivery.
- Interact closely with internal R&D groups and partners in developing and implement new assays for epigenetics.
- Contribute to scientific and strategy discussions to advance and enhance platforms and product candidates.
- Communicate research and development findings internally and externally.
- Develop and present a vision for future state of formulation design to enhance and potentially revolutionize mRNA therapeutic delivery in the future.
Moderna is pleased to provide you and your family with a comprehensive and innovative suite of benefits, including:
- Ph.D. with experience in immunology and epigenetics
- A strong background in epigenetics and/or ideally with current knowledge of functional states of innate immunity and chromatin regulation of. Must be motivated to stay on top of the literature.
- Strong foundation in innate immunity, transcriptional regulation and molecular and cellular biology.
- A track record of achievement in publications and/or patent applications.
- Proven record of achieving goals on aggressive timelines through effective collaboration
- Ability to effectively contribute to experimental design for discovery and clinical programs
- Ability to manage technical staff and maintain scientific business-relevant relationships (consultants) as well as contract research programs.
- Experience with standard programs for data analysis and visualization, basic statistical analysis
- Attention to detail, scientific versatility, flexibility, results oriented, with effective communication skills and ability to think outside the box.
- Hands-on experience in both chromatin assays (ATACseq, CUT&TAG, ChIP) in vitro cellular techniques including flow cytometry, ELISAs, Westerns, Luminex, MLR or other immunoassay techniques; gene expression by qRT-PCR, and cell culture and cell transduction.
- Candidate will embrace our core values. You will be curious in exploring new paths for immune modulation, bold in proposing creative experimental designs and ideas. You will work collaboratively with multifunctional teams and will be relentless in pursuing successful outcome
- Strong written and oral communication skills, comfort with senior management interactions.
- Positive team building and teamwork skills: Ability to influence, lead and inspire people, within function and beyond functional/company boundaries.
- Highly competitive and inclusive medical, dental and vision coverage options
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- Lifestyle Spending Account funds to help you engage in personal enrichment and self-care activities
- Family care benefits, including subsidized back-up care options and on-demand tutoring
- Free premium access to fitness, nutrition, and mindfulness classes
- Exclusive preferred pricing on Peloton fitness equipment
- Adoption and family-planning benefits
- Dedicated care coordination support for our LGBTQ+ community
- Generous paid time off, including:
• Vacation, sick time and holidays
• Volunteer time to participate within your community
• Discretionary winter shut down
• Paid sabbatical after 5 years; every 3 years thereafter
- Generous Paid Leave offerings, including 18 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 401k match and Financial Planning tools
- Moderna-paid Life, LTD and STD insurance coverages, as well as voluntary benefit options
- Complimentary concierge service including home services research, travel booking, and entertainment requests
- Free parking or subsidized commuter passes
- Location-specific perks and extras!
Candidates should be aware that Moderna currently maintains a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and receive a booster shot once eligible. Newly hired employees must be vaccinated and boosted prior to their employment start date. Moderna is an equal opportunity employer and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated or receive a booster where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.About Moderna
In over 10 years since its inception, Moderna has transformed from a research-stage company advancing programs in the field of messenger RNA (mRNA), to an enterprise with a diverse clinical portfolio of vaccines and therapeutics across seven modalities, a broad intellectual property portfolio in areas including mRNA and lipid nanoparticle formulation, and an integrated manufacturing plant that allows for rapid clinical and commercial production at scale. Moderna maintains alliances with a broad range of domestic and overseas government and commercial collaborators, which has allowed for the pursuit of both groundbreaking science and rapid scaling of manufacturing. Most recently, Moderna's capabilities have come together to allow the authorized use and approval of one of the earliest and most effective vaccines against the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moderna's mRNA platform builds on continuous advances in basic and applied mRNA science, delivery technology and manufacturing, and has allowed the development of therapeutics and vaccines for infectious diseases, immuno-oncology, rare diseases, cardiovascular diseases and autoimmune diseases. Moderna has been named a top biopharmaceutical employer by Science for the past seven years. To learn more, visit www.modernatx.com.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.