Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
SMU's more than 12,000 diverse, high-achieving students come from all 50 states and over 80 countries to take advantage of the University's small classes, meaningful research opportunities, leadership development, community service, international study and innovative programs.
SMU serves approximately 7,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students through eight degree-granting schools: Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences, Cox School of Business, Lyle School of Engineering, Meadows School of the Arts, Simmons School of Education and Human Development, Dedman School of Law, Perkins School of Theology and Moody School of Graduate and Advanced Studies.
SMU is data driven, and its powerful supercomputing ecosystem - paired with entrepreneurial drive - creates an unrivaled environment for the University to deliver research excellence.
Now in its second century of achievement, SMU is recognized for the ways it supports students, faculty and alumni as they become ethical, enterprising leaders in their professions and communities. SMU's relationship with Dallas - the dynamic center of one of the nation's fastest-growing regions - offers unique learning, research, social and career opportunities that provide a launch pad for global impact.
SMU is nonsectarian in its teaching and committed to academic freedom and open inquiry.
About the Position:
This role is an on-campus, in-person position.
The Program Specialist supports the administration of the Marketing Department, as well as provides general administrative support, complete event coordination and logistics for the Cox School of Business External Relations Department.
This position will support the mission of promoting involvement and networking with alumni of the Cox School of Business, at SMU, throughout the US and abroad.
Qualifications Education and Experience:
- Marketing Department:
- Planning guest speaker visits and faculty candidate visits when the dept is recruiting. Making travel and hotel reservations for the guest, coordinating with faculty to plan the guest's schedule with ind faculty visits, dinners, and his/her presentation. Part of the recruiting process is also posting ads to national advertising venues.
- Assisting with the JCPenney BA Marketing Awards Luncheon each spring, planning the luncheon with the assigned Department Professor and SMU Catering, inviting the student awardees, their families, faculty and staff, ordering the award plaques and processing the financial award paperwork.
- General administrative support - submitting invoices for payment and creating/submitting Concur travel and expense reports for some faculty. Assisting with any other marketing department sponsored events or projects, such as the Marketing Dynamics Conference, DEI Conference and the BBA Honors Practicum project.
- Assisting with textbook ordering for faculty through the online AIP system, which involves coordination with faculty, the SMU Bookstore and the BBA and MBA offices who put out the class schedules.
- Support the JCPenney Center for Retail Excellence, including providing administrative and planning support for the bimonthly retail speaker series along with additional speaker events, as well as retail-related student activities.
- External Relations, as a shared responsibility with another staff member:
- Administrative Support: processing invoices, purchasing, budgeting, helping to oversee the day-to-day operations of External Relations, keeping database current, filling out and processing expense reports, etc. Be primary contact for telephone and email inquiries. Order Cox promotional merchandise as needed and keep track of department purchases to create JE periodically for reimbursement
- Update Alumni contact information in BBEC. Assist with Cox Today magazine alumni pages Fall/Spring issues and provide necessary information to Communications. Update Cox calendar content with current events. Assist with preparation and distribution of periodic newsletters to alumni, students and business school deans.
- Execute and manage all aspects of campus based and external alumni programming events from start to finish, including creating and sending invitations, maintaining databases, vendor payment and management, securing venues, managing all logistics before and during the event. Assist other Cox departments with planning luncheons and conferences.
- Responsible for Alumni board meetings, database and member lists, distribute communications and logistics, Distinguished Alumni Awards luncheon, Graduate receptions: (Fall, Spring and Summer); Tailgate events, Alumni Rugby Team - travel, facilities and uniforms.
- Answer phones and set up calendar appointments with alumni, students, prospective students, parents, corporate sponsors, both on and off campus.
A high school diploma or equivalent is required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
A minimum of six years of work experience is required. Experience with event planning and logistics preferred. Experience working with high end clients desired. Experience with project-based work is a plus.
Previous experience with volunteer, alumni or foundation boards is a plus.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidate must demonstrate strong verbal and interpersonal communications skills to effectively interact with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Must also demonstrate a strong customer service orientation. The ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to changing priorities and needs of the office for projects and events is essential.
Candidate must demonstrate strong written communication skills with ability to disseminate information into precise and effective written communications. Must also demonstrate a strong focus on attention to detail.
Candidate must possess strong time management, organizational and planning skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines. Must also demonstrate a high level of initiative on assignments, with the ability to work autonomously or with a team.
Candidate must possess strong problem-solving skills with the ability to be resourceful, proactive, and seek assistance as needed. Strong project management skills are essential.
Candidate must demonstrate a strong working knowledge with Microsoft Office (particularly Outlook, Word, and Excel). Knowledge of and/or experience with database software (e.g. BBEC) and/or event management software preferred.Physical and Environmental Demands:
Deadline to Apply:
- Sit for long periods of time
- Reach above shoulders
- Handle objects (dexterity)
- Carry/lift 25 lbs
June 9, 2023EEO Statement:
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, email@example.com.Benefits:
SMU offers staff a broad, competitive array of health and related benefits. In addition to traditional benefits such as health, dental, and vision plans, SMU offers a wide range of wellness programs to help attract, support, and retain our employees whose work continues to make SMU an outstanding education and research institution.
SMU is committed to providing an array of retirement programs that benefit and protect you and your family throughout your working years at SMU and, if you meet SMU's retirement eligibility criteria, during your retirement years after you leave SMU.
The value of learning at SMU isn't just about preparing our students for the future. Employees have access to a wide variety of professional and personal development opportunities, including tuition benefits.