Job Posting Title
Plant Sanitarian / Sanitation ManagerPosition Summary
Our growth and successes at Ferrara continues. We're agile. We're ambitious. We're collaborative. Together, we're shaping the future of the candy industry and sharing goodness in the process. Sound like the kind of career you could sink your teeth into? We'd love to have you on our team! You will be a vital part of a team providing quality products to millions of people daily.
As a Plant Sanitarian/Sanitation Manager, you will develop, implement and continuously improve on sanitation programs, policies and key performance indicators (KPIs) for the facility. This position reports to the Quality and Food Safety Manager and directs a crew of up to 30 hourly employees (janitors and pest control operators).
Responsibilities, Challenges and Opportunities:
- Ensures compliance with all food safety policies and procedures. Ensures plant is in proper sanitary condition at all times, including allergen control and pest control
- Evaluates facility sanitary conditions visually and analytically, assesses risk based on food safety and public health principles and prioritizes corrective actions
- Effective supervise, mentor, and coach employees.
- Troubleshoots persistent sanitation issues to identify deficiencies in sanitation program or facility/equipment design
- Acts as sanitation lead in the process of assessing and mitigating food safety risks associated with construction and major maintenance
- Maintains and updates master cleaning schedule for plant according to GMP and Ferrara guidelines
- Maintains and writes detailed clean up procedures and SSOP's for all plant equipment.
- Conducts clean up inspections and verification /validations of sanitation and allergen cleanings using swabs and/or samples collected for analysis
- Oversees or may be responsible for collection of monthly environmental samples for monitoring of pathogenic organisms in plant. Monitor and charts results and develops corrective actions
- Identifies need for any additional microbiological testing
- Coordinates and prepares plant for internal and third party audits yearly
- Engages technical experts from corporate, industry experts, and chemical / equipment suppliers to troubleshoot persistent sanitation challenges and identify novel technologies and methodologies that improve sanitation effectiveness
- Works with plant and corporate engineering, equipment manufacturers, and chemical suppliers, directs the effective implementation of CIP (cleaning in place)and COP (cleaning out of place) systems where appropriate for the application
- Routinely interfaces with vendors for cost savings and arranging special services in plant - pesticide applications, contracted cleaning and painting, carpet cleaning, new dust collection filter technologies
- Responsible for MCRS® (Management Control Report System) sustainability: Ensures achievement of all area / shift KPIs; ensures adherence to and continuous improvement of all area / shift MCRS® elements
- Assigns and monitors plant wide sanitation areas of responsibilities to all supervisors
- Develops and implements all sanitation related training for sanitation and plant employees as needed
- Ensures all safety requirements related to sanitation are met including proper chemical storage, MSDS, PPE and procedures
- Bachelor's degree in food science or related business equivalent and a minimum of 5 years of plant quality/food safety/sanitation experience.
- 2-4 years of supervisory experience
- Understands and can apply basic microbiological principles
- Knowledge and experience working with the following:
- HACCP and sanitation principles
- Food borne pathogens
- Verification and validation methods
- US food laws and international regulations
- COP and CIP operations
- Wet and dry cleaning methodologies
- PIC & PEC cleaning
- Experience in successfully addressing persistent environmental sanitation challenges including drains, floors, walls, roofs, and equipment.
- Effective written and oral communication - able to engage all levels of employees
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience with SAP and Kronos
- Sanitarian Certification
- Pesticide Application Certification
- Experience with workers compensation, security and/or environmental safety,
- The ability to work a full shift, occasional off shift, some travel for certifications and training, and work overtime as needed is an essential function of this position.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, employment decisions and opportunities at Ferrara will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital or civil union status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, military or veteran status, disability, handicap, genetic information, pregnancy (childbirth or related medical condition), or on any other basis prohibited by law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.