Under general supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor, the individual collects specimens for laboratory analysis including blood and urine. Explains safety protocols and procedures to patients, is customer focused and provides certain clerical functions.Follow hand hygiene proceduresSeleqt appropriate specimen collection equipmentSelect appropriate site for blood collectionTie tourniquet and pgepare site for venipuncture
Collect blood using good judgnent, feasonable and prudent care and according to policies and procedures, including but not Limited to the following:
1 . Check two patient identifiers and i.nsure a complete mdtch between requisitions, labels and patient identification card
6. Collect specimen according to order of drawInsure adequate mixing of specimen in tube by inversion or mechanical deviceLabel in presence of patientPackage specimens for fransportMonitor patient and insure bleeding has stopped, and patient is stable
Review prior to collection a standard checklist which includes checking for potential adverse reactions such as history of fainting, and latex allergy. Is customer. focused and puts the needs of patients first.
Maintains patient privacy, and follows all f-IIPAA guidelines.
- With training, or if qualified by cornpetency review, provide EKG, clerical.a.nd specimen . transport functions.
- With taining, or if qualified by competency review, provide pediatric and ancillary services to phlebotomy operations serviced by the Lab.
- Provide reception and associated clerical functions at the front de>k including Fax receipt and send, filing of orders, and answering telephones according to policies and procedures. Maintain adequate supply inventory, and complete monthly inventory checks as assigied. SaMsfy annual required continuing education for phlebotomists and mandatory life safety, _BIPA.A and other required t:rai.ning.
- Work i.n collaboraåon with and practice good tearn worldng and communication skills with coworkers.
Adhere to u.nit policies for dress code, and other areas of personal presentation such as, but not _ limited to fingernail policy a.nd personal hygiene, and interpersonal com.munications. Adhere to unit polices for attendance, time off, scheduling, breaks, lunch, etc.Qualifications
See Job DescriptionEEO Statement
MassachusettsGeneral Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, wechoose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals withdisabilities are strongly encouraged.