The Payroll Accountant position will report to the CFO and is responsible for the processing, reporting and accuracy of all payroll related functions. This includes issuing and processing employee pay, bonuses and benefits, ensuring the accuracy of all information and the adherence to government policies and guidelines. Includes the analysis, preparation, and management of financial entries to the G/L including annual labor budgets and monthly reconciliation of Payroll related G/L accounts. The individual must have strong technical payroll system experience, be analytical, has good command of Labor Law and solid general accounting knowledge.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Oversee employee weekly and bi-weekly payroll processing with calculating net earnings after deductions and withholdings.
- Work with various staffing agencies and Cambro Accounts Payable to process temp labor payments accurately and timely.
- Prepare accounting files on payroll and temporary labor to post to General Ledger.
- Ensures that the payroll policies are in accordance with the government regulations.
- Coordinate activities supporting required payroll and benefit related audits.
- Process employee vacation, sick, and other PTO and leave of absence requests and payments.
- Process overtime earnings, other paid and unpaid leaves.
- Work with department managers/supervisors to resolve all timecard related issues.
- Prepare payroll tax filings with IRS and various State agencies.
- Process approved employee payroll changes in a timely manner.
- Ensure the accuracy of payroll and payroll tax records in both the payroll system and general ledger.
- Resolve any technical issues in payroll or timecard processing.
- Answer employee questions concerning payroll.
- Provides support to external payroll audit and annual 401K audit.
- Analyze labor costs during month-end close and provide analysis on labor variances.
- Develop labor, compensation and benefit budget and forecast.
- Work with Financial Controller to reconcile payroll cash account.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts on accrued payroll, payroll tax, bonus, vacation, medical insurance, FSA, etc.
- Generate periodic payroll reports to the manager for review.
- Review Payroll data integrity to avoid any potentially fraudulent activities.
- Make suggestions on issues that affect payroll.
- Ensure Payroll and Timekeeper software is maintained with all necessary updates both functional and statutory.
- Develop new processes to improve the data flow and reporting efficiencies of Payroll.
- Perform financial analysis relating to labor on general ledger accounts against Budget, Prior Periods, Forecast.
- Perform any ad hoc analysis and reporting as needed by management.
- Assist in new Financial and Accounting software implementations
- Responsible for performing analysis of the data and ensuring wage & tax compliance, accounting journal entries.
- Research, analyze and retrieve data to prepare and maintain complex payroll records, summaries, and reports.
- Maintain reliable and consistent attendance, including being punctual, and dependable in order to meet the needs of the department and the organization.
- Execute each essential duty satisfactorily in order to perform job successfully.
- Follows all safety procedures required in work area, wears PPE as needed, attends all safety meetings, and reports safety issues regarding equipment or unsafe/hazardous conditions.
- Performs effectively as a team member, able to work well with others, open to receive and give feedback, and treats everyone with respect.
- Takes ownership of own work and behavior, accepts accountability for own actions, encourages solutions, and communicates status of work/projects.
- Follow all department quality standards/criteria. Raise concerns and issues to immediate manager.
- Able to understand and demonstrate Cambro company culture, display company core values (Safety, Quality, Respect, and Service).
- Understands department's key performance indicators and contributes to achieve these goals both individually and as a team.
- Other duties as needed or required.
- Assist with other functions as needed in the accounting department.
- Must be able to work overtime as needed, remain flexible and open to possible schedule changes in order to meet business needs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
In this position you may be required to:
- Occasionally sit, walk, stand, bend at the neck and/or waist, squat, climb, kneel, twist at the neck and/or waist, use hands repetitively for simple and power grasping, fine manipulation, pushing & pulling, reaching above and below shoulder level, carrying/lifting up to 10 lbs..
- Safety glasses
- Hair net
- Nitrile Gloves, Chemical Resistant Gloves, Utility gloves/cutting gloves, and Welding Gloves
- Steel-toe slip resistant shoes
- Hardhat or Bump Cap
- Hearing protection (e.g. ear plugs, earmuffs)
- Face shields
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- BA/BS from accredited University or College
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification
- 5 years+ hands-on experience in payroll processing for organizations with minimum 500 employees
- Basic knowledge and some experience of general accounting
- Experience working with standard payroll processing systems such as ADP, Ultimate, Kronos
- Advanced level on Excel spreadsheets and other MS applications
- Experience working with business enterprise packages
- Outstanding analytical skills
- Able to work independently and as a part of a team
- Ability to work under pressure meet deadlines while maintaining a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to work and communicate well with people inside and outside of the organization
- Strong experience working with Kronos payroll system
- 5-7 Years of payroll experience working with multiple states and strong labor law knowledge in the states of California and North Carolina.
- 1-2 years of experience working with general accounting
CAMBRO is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to and will not be discriminated against based upon race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.