At Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), our goal is to explore, innovate and design novel interfaces and hardware subsystems for virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. We are looking for an Optical Engineer, Design Validation with passion for creating new technology to join our team. Our team mission is to deliver beyond state-of-the-art near eye display technologies for consumer devices at our research and development facilities. We are specifically looking for a candidate with experience in optical design, nano-fabrication and metrology. In this role, you will collaborate with a diverse and highly interdisciplinary team of researchers, designers and process engineers. You will be empowered to both establish the fundamental understanding of as-built physical waveguide-based-displays, to identify and rectify the source of design-to-fab performance gaps. You will receive full support from the management and leadership team to grow your technical skills.
Optical Engineer, Design Validation Responsibilities:
- Collaborate closely and communicate effectively with both management and cross-functional technical leads, technical program managers and the leadership team to devise and execute on the program priorities.
- Establish fundamental understanding of as-built physical optics and identify source of design-to-fab performance gaps.
- Document component performance and work with Design and Fabrication teams to understand and address design-to-fab differences.
- Support modeling, optimization and prototyping for next-generation optics and displays.
- Deploy commercial optical characterization equipment to analyze near-eye display optical components.
- Utilize custom optical characterization equipment (where no commercial system exists) and work collaboratively with the Optomechanical and Design Teams to design, build, and validate the equipment performance.
- Support evaluating and characterizing optical elements and image processing algorithms.
- Manage external partnership with MP vendors and instrument manufacturers to define test plans from development to production.
- Support the design validation of advanced optical component from technology development/mass production partner.
- Partner to develop operational competencies through remote and hands-on training including adaptation of SOPs, worksheets, and other relevant documentation.
- Execute analyses and evaluate data against Key Performance Indicators to support process quality and feedback evaluation.
- Support test strategy to allow adequate coverage to support design verification cycles to support transfer to high volume manufacturing.
- Recognize capability gaps and propose executable solutions by summarizing, documenting, and presenting results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Able to travel up to 20% to partner site with periods of co-location.
- MS degree in the field of Engineering, Optical Sciences or Physics.
- 3+ years experience in academic or industrial setting in electromagnetic modeling and analysis of nanoscale structures, metastructures, anisotropic materials, films, or holographic elements, using algorithms such as RCWA or FDTD.
- 3+ years of experience in academic or industrial settings with scientific programming languages such as MATLAB, Python, Mathematica, or similar.
- 3+ years of experience in optical metrology tools such as interferometry, image quality testing, and polarization test.
- Experienced and willing to work in a cleanroom environment.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills that support effective decision making.
- Experience to plan effectively, organize and align different functions and groups.
- PhD degree in the field of Engineering, Optical Sciences or Physics.
- 3+ years of experience in optical structures for display technology.
- 3+ years of experience in one or more optical design tools such as VirtualLab, Code V, ASAP, Zemax, Light Tools or FRED, Lumerical, FDTD or equivalent.
- 5+ years professional experience utilizing optical display metrology systems and optical design tools with emphasis on performance output, design validation, tolerancing and the establishment of physical properties to optical performance.
- 3+ years experience with product transfers and/or volume scaling.
- Knowledge of a broad range of optical technologies including imaging and illumination systems, photometry, and physical optics.
- Experience with in-line and off-line testing using automated systems for quality control in HVM for (IQC, OQC, PQ and final inspection of optical components.
- Experience to execute designed experiments and related statistical data analysis.
- Well-versed in measurement quality management including GR&R and other validations and control methods (e.g., SPC).
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
This job has expired.