As a not-for-profit organization, Mass General Brigham is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Mass General Brigham supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Mass General Brigham is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Mass General Brigham values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
General Summary/Overview Statement
It is the goal of the 24/7 hospital call center to provide exemplary service and customer care to every caller. The Call Center Operator ensures that the main number, page calls and answering service are answered in a consistent, efficient, and courteous manner.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Operator of Customer Service in a multifunctional 24/7 on site medical call center. The position includes processing calls for Main Listed Number, Patient Information, Paging, Code Calls and Answering Service. The ideal candidate would be able to toggle between multi screens seamlessly and treat every caller as a welcome guest.
- Handling incoming and outgoing calls in an expedient, efficient and courteous manner using the prescribed phraseology.
- Processing calls for the Main Listed Number, Patient Information, Paging, Code Line, TTY Service, and Answering Service.
- Handling requests for paging as well as retrieval of pages efficiently and accurately.
- Changing the current paging status as requested by the holder of the pager.
- Issuing new, replacement, and loaner pagers as well as returning and deleting pagers to the PHS paging system which includes updating PHS telephone directory and paging databases
- Maintaining the ability to multi-task and toggle between multiple screens seamlessly.
- Knowledge of various "Codes" and their procedures for activation. These "Codes" include: medical, fire, internal and external disasters and safety emergencies, often of a life-threatening nature.
- Responding to all telephone inquiries for patient information which may include handling confidential information.
- Responding to requests from staff regarding department on-call schedules.
- Handling answering service calls in an efficient and courteous manner using prescribed guidelines.
- Understanding when to escalate any unusual or difficult problems with callers, telephones, paging system or answering service to the supervisor.
- May be required to perform responsibilities at multiple locations based on need and situation
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- HS diploma or equivalent, type 35 wpm, knowledge of Windows applications
- Phone-based customer service and/or call center experience required; hospital/medical environment preferred
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced medical environment.
- Able to work independently and be highly motivated with good interpersonal and phone skills.
- Excellent spelling and grammar skills. Must be able to read, write and speak in English fluently.
Busy call center environment with close-set cubicles.Supervisory Responsibility
No supervisory responsibility.Fiscal Responsibility
No direct fiscal responsibilities.EEO Statement
Mass General Brigham is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.