Zoetis Inc. the world's largest producer of medicine and vaccinations for pets and livestock is seeking candidates to apply for the position of Multi-Skilled Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice in our growing company.
Job Title: Multi-Skilled Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice
An Apprentice Multi-Skilled Maintenance Mechanic, working under the direction of a journeyman technician, troubleshoots and maintains many types of mechanical equipment and systems associated with the research facility, the boiler plant, and the chilled water plant. Equipment supported by this role includes pumps, motors, traps, piping systems, HVAC systems and controls, vacuum systems and other systems used to provide utility services and facility equipment support.
Please note: This is a fixed term position of up to 4 years, depending upon level of education and job experience upon entry into the apprenticeship.
- Recognize safety hazards and follow safety guidelines for personal protection and protection of coworkers and the public.
- Gain knowledge of environmental rules and regulations, and effectively apply them to all work situations.
- Installs, modifies, and maintains company piping systems, machinery systems and HVAC systems. Bench work includes performing component troubleshooting and repair.
- Read and interpret piping diagrams, control wiring diagrams, and equipment schematics to locate, identify, troubleshoot, and repair facility systems, interlocks, etc.
- Use test equipment (e.g. vibration-meters, ultrasonic listening tools, alignment equipment, handheld analytical devises) and hand tools (e.g. drills, screwdrivers, wrenches) as necessary to troubleshoot and maintain devices and systems for the facility.
- Process/complete all written and electronic records (e.g. work orders, check sheets, time cards, material requests) required to document work tasks per company policy.
- Learn the facility layout and system operation, and continually update knowledge of the facility systems and equipment.
- Successfully complete the required apprenticeship training which will be reviewed at six-month intervals.
- Make decisions about how best to repair equipment and what resources are needed (tools, time equipment, other people, etc.).
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Proven mechanical aptitude.
- Proven ability to complete simultaneous classroom and on-the-job training.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Journeymen certificate in one of the following disciplines, Machine repair, HVAC/R, or Pipe Fitting or a related technical discipline OR two (2) years military experience in mechanical equipment repair may be substituted for formal training.
- Ability to communicate clearly and unambiguously in both oral and written terms.
- Intermediate or higher knowledge level of machine repair or HVAC repair.
- Basic understanding of maintenance activities and procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret instruction manuals, blueprints and control system drawings;
- Ability to learn mechanical and HVAC control equipment and basic equipment operation.
- Ability to take measurements and use mathematics including algebra and geometry to perform computations required for installation and repair of equipment.
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair pneumatic, hydraulic, mechanical, or HVAC systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of lock-out/tag-out procedures.
- Ability to use a personal computer and associated software.
- Ability to apply knowledge of facility operations, equipment and skill area knowledge to daily decision making.
- Daily work expectation requires ability to perform tasks by walking, standing, sitting, kneeling, crouching, squatting, twisting, pushing, pulling, shoveling, climbing, and working with hand tools (up to 25 pounds) in position above and below head, and extended from body to complete repairs.
- Lift, carry, position and use tools and/or equipment (weighing up to 50 lbs.) in awkward positions, stoop and bend to reach valves, pull on chain-falls or come-a-longs.
What to Expect
- The power plant and laboratory environment require the candidate to work both inside and outside in all temperature and climate conditions (in accordance with Heat Stress procedures) and around large rotating equipment, energized electrical equipment, high noise areas, confined spaces, and on elevations ranging from 5 to 250 feet. The candidate must be able to climb stairways, ladders, and work from aerial lift equipment.
- Standard shift (days) with ability to work irregular shifts when needed as well as respond to off-hour emergency calls to assist journeyman personnel.
- Ability to work in stressful situations and react promptly and decisively when potentially damaging or hazardous situations occur.
- Will work with and around both hazardous and non-hazardous materials.
- Must wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as required i.e. steel-toed boots, respirators, goggles, safety glasses, hearing protection, etc.
The apprenticeship program requires the candidate to work 40 hours a week on the job under the guidance of a journeyman technician and to also attend course(s) at a local community college for an additional 3 to 5 hours a week. Tuition, training materials, and time spent attending instructional courses outside of core work hours will be paid by Zoetis.
Progress of the apprentice's coursework completion and application of attained skills/knowledge will be reviewed by the Zoetis sponsoring department every 6 months until the program has been completed.
Fixed Term/Temporary (Fixed Term)
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of "@zoetis.com". In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.