GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Medical Assistant (MA) is an integral member of the healthcare team and is accountable for patient care as assigned by a licensed independent provider (LIP: MD, NP, PA), a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or a Registered Nurse (RN). The MA participates in the direct and indirect care of patients, health maintenance, patient instruction, collaborative planning and rehabilitation within scope of practice and consistent with his/her education and training. The Medical Assistant may be present in secure medication storage areas and is allowed incidental access to medications. Developing relationships with patients, families and colleagues, the MA functions as an interdisciplinary team member who provides quality patient care and contributes toward the attainment of important goals for the patient, the practice and the organization.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Job duties and responsibilities may vary by department (see addendum A for more detail)
Clinical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates true engagement and enthusiasm to contribute toward the care delivery needs for patients and families.
- Promotes an inclusive environment supportive of patient and family centered care for a diverse community.
- Accepts assignments for patient care within the scope of his/her preparation and within current standards of practice.
- In conjunction with a Licensed Independent Provider (LIP) , LPN or RN, participates in the gathering of data that contributes to the assessment, planning, and evaluation of care delivered.
- Collaborates as a member of the health care team, contributing toward a supportive and therapeutic environment that promotes the attainment of patient goals that are specific, measurable, action-oriented, realistic and timely.
- Accurately obtains vital signs, elicits information about the patient's basic health status, administers relevant care within scope of practice and as directed by the LIP/LPN/RN, and documents as appropriate in the electronic health record.
- Performs routine tests that may include but is not limited to: electrocardiograms, vision and hearing screening, and the collection of specimens for laboratory testing and point of care.
- Participates in team-based care and patient education initiatives to support the health and wellness of patients in conjunction with the LIP/LPN/RN. Reinforces patient instruction as directed by LIP/LPN/RN.
- Participates in organizational and unit-based quality improvement initiatives and compliance readiness.
- Participates in telephone screening of patients; may provide instruction to patient when directed by the LIP/LPN/RN.
- Participates in prescription management tasks including pending of new prescriptions and renewals requiring LIP approval, prior authorizations and medication reconciliation.
- Follows approved clinical practice guidelines (CPG's) and workflows, pends appropriate orders for radiology, laboratory testing and other care needs requiring LIP authorization.
- Performs a variety of tasks, including those that may be facilitated by administrative staff, which have an effect on the overall operations of the unit. These include flow, stocking of rooms, scheduling tasks and all other duties as assigned.
- Appropriately utilizes organizational resources including management of time, supplies, equipment and other assets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Some college or Associate's Degree preferred
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Certificate preferred
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant Certificate Program preferred
- Experience in healthcare preferred
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Technical Skills/Competencies Required:
- Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
- Beginning to intermediate knowledge and use of medical terminology.
- Ability to accurately perform vital signs and obtain pertinent health information including but not limited to: temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, height, and weight.
- Ability to participate in the medication reconciliation processes and related prescription management tasks, including prior authorizations.
- Knowledge and ability to perform specific procedures and tests as appropriate to the clinical setting.
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills in English. Communicates in a professional, courteous, clear and concise manner. Facilitates therapeutic relationships between patients, families and other members of the health care team.
- Ability to correspond and communicate with others clearly and effectively in writing (via e-mail, memo or interoffice note, documentation of patient information) and to take complete and accurate messages.
- Ability to telephonically support the practice by answering and screening calls, offering information within scope of practice to facilitate communication.
- Ability to manage work processes in a neat and systematic way. Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, appropriately prioritize clinical work, follow established policies, procedures and clinical practice guidelines, workflows.
- Demonstrates ability to utilize technology in the clinical setting. Includes basic computer skills as well as the utilization of electronic medical equipment.. Ability to type accurately and enter data at an intermediate level. Ability to become proficient in using the EHR and other appropriate applications. Ability to utilize hand-held technology and download related data to the electronic health record.
HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners: follow safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners; as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.