Job ID: 2110903
Location: GREENBELT , MD , US
Date Posted: 2021-07-21
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Engineering Technician
Shift: Day Job
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Remote Work: No
SAIC is seeking a Mechanical Technician on the OMES II contract in support of the OSAM-1 program in NASA’s Exploration and In-Space Services Division (NExIS) at Goddard Space Flight Center. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD and remote work is not available.
The OSAM-1 mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) NExIS managed mission. OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. The SSPD is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The technician will support mechanical integration and test across all testbeds and ground support equipment as a member of the OSAM-1 I&T team. The OSAM-1 I&T subsystem performs the integration and test of all OSAM-1 hardware including the servicing payload and spacecraft bus.
Job duties include:
- Provide advanced technician fabrication, test, integration, and custom assembly/troubleshooting work for spaceflight programs and payload subsystems
- Perform repairs, fabrication, modification and installation of mechanical components and subsystems
- Perform advanced technician skills in polymerics bonding
- Performs bonding work for thermal hardware
- Read and interpret work instructions, schematics, and drawings
- Ensure quality of the hardware is maintained and NASA quality and safety standards and procedures are followed
- Ensure work is done with completeness, accuracy, adherence to operation sheets, ISO procedures, schedules and assigned tasks
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- AA Degree in related discipline and six (6) years related experience; OR, High School and seven (7) years related experience.
- Mechanical fabrication, integration, and/or test experience for high-reliability hardware applications
- Experience with some of the following: ball bearing cleaning/ greasing/ lubrication/ servicing, mechanical etching, operation of mechanical machine tools including lathes, mills, experience with grease plating, experience with high precision mechanical assembly and troubleshooting.
- Mechanical inspection with gauges, calipers, etc.
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work as a team member
- Must be capable of functioning in multi-disciplined design teams across multiple systems
- Must be well organized and possess excellent communication skills
- Able to plan and prioritize work effort and quickly respond to issues and questions
- Ability to attend to assignments with only limited direction
Ability to obtain and maintain NASA certifications, including but not limited to:
- Ability to obtain/maintain NASA Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) certification (GSFC-SH-ESDCO300 300-PG-8730.6.1A*). English proficiency is required to successfully complete the required training and pass testing (written and/or hands-on) to obtain the certification.
- Ability to obtain/maintain NASA Polymerics Certification. English proficiency is required to successfully complete the required training and pass testing (written and/or hands-on) to obtain the certification.
- Electromechanical experience is a plus
- Spaceflight hardware fabrication and assembly experience, preferably at NASA
- Familiarity with MIL standards and requirements, NASA standards and requirements, AS9100 or ISO 9001
- Experience with NASA mission life cycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.)
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. Full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work onsite at an SAIC location. If applicable, prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Employees working onsite at a customer location must comply with customer requirements which may include mandatory vaccination, mandatory attestation regarding one's vaccination status and mandatory weekly or bi-weekly testing.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com
or Working at SAIC
for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.
This job has expired.