The Smart Metering Department within Avangrid's Operational Smart Grids organization is responsible for strategy, enterprise planning, operation, and compliance of metering systems and networks covering over 1 million meters, primarily Advanced Metering Infrastructure ("AMI" or smart meters), currently across the states of Maine and Connecticut. AMI is considered a foundational technology for grid modernization. Central Maine Power, a subsidiary of Avangrid, Inc., serves over 636,000 retail electric customers in central and southern Maine. This position reports to the Regional Manager for Smart Metering's Maine-based operations, and will work with the team to develop and implement solutions for the AMI Head-End System (HES), AMI network, Meter Data Management System (MDM), MV-90 xi system, and other applications in support of business requirements. The selected person will join a team of technical systems and metering experts and will collaborate with metering peers in Connecticut and New York and other groups across Avangrid, including IT, Telecommunications, Control & Automation Systems, Electric Operations, Customer Service, and Innovation.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Scope of work - range of responsibilities):
• Lead the development of technical solutions and/or performing of configuration changes to meet ongoing requirements then prepare specifications for approved changes associated with the AMI network, HES, and MDM and other applicable environments within Smart Metering.
• Lead testing and implementation of enhancements to the AMI HES, AMI network, MDM, MV-90 xi, and other applications within Smart Metering to meet requirements (e.g., system performance, availability, recoverability, compliance).
• Coordinate system upgrades and issue resolution with vendors, end users, and process owners, including corporate IT.
• Support daily operations of the AMI network and systems.
• Create and maintain documentation; observe change management principles; complete system performance trend analysis.
• Be on-call on a rotational basis over the 7-day week as needed to monitor, support upgrades and system maintenance, and assist with troubleshooting (e.g., meters, reading files, AMI HES network issues).
• Take a lead role on business projects as needed, coordinating with other junior team members.
Skills and Requirements
• Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Finance, or Statistics with at least 7 years of experience preferred
• Solid technical background with experience in five or more of the following preferred:
o Technical hardware architecture
o Linux/Unix Operating System
o Networking and topology / understanding of high-level network and security concepts, radio networks, firmware updates, Zigbee wireless protocols in and around 802.1x, FCC regulations
o Network functionality and tools including SSH, traceroute, ping, understanding of DHCP, VPN technologies, firewall concepts and architecture
o Relational DBMS (i.e., Oracle/SQL Server/MySQL)
o Windows Server OS and creating .NET web services running on Microsoft's IIS
o Bash/perl/python scripting and/or java on Linux
o AMI Head-end Systems, Meter Data Management Systems, MV-90 xi, and/or related metering systems
• Experience with SAP preferred
• Demonstrated track record of learning new technologies and systems, building cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders, and solving complex technical issues required
• Knowledge of electric and/or gas utility operations preferred
• Previous work experience in IT, operational telecom, network or systems engineering, or metering operations preferred
• Ability to maintain the integrity of data during extraction, storage, manipulation, and processing required
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite and other business analytical tools required
Please also note that AVANGRID currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy in place that, among other requirements, requires all employees to disclose their COVID-19 Vaccination status. Any applicant who receives a conditional offer will be required to submit acceptable documentation regarding their COVID-19 vaccination status after receiving such conditional offer and prior to commencing employment. This policy also requires all employees to either become fully vaccinated or to undergo weekly testing beginning on February 9th, 2022. All AVANGRID policies may be modified or discontinued at any time, for any reason at the Company's full and sole discretion.
Posted about 3 hours ago
Posted about 3 hours ago
East Windsor, Connecticut
Posted about 2 hours ago