About Veolia North America
A subsidiary of Veolia group, Veolia North America (VNA) offers a full spectrum of water, waste and energy management services, including water and wastewater treatment, commercial and hazardous waste collection and disposal, energy consulting and resource recovery. VNA helps commercial, industrial, healthcare, higher education and municipality customers throughout North America. Headquartered in Boston, Mass., Veolia North America has more than 10,000 employees working at more than 350 locations across the continent. Please visit our website www.veolianorthamerica.com.
Pay Rate: $22.88, Per Hour
Veolia's comprehensive benefits package includes paid time off policies, as well as health, dental and vision insurance. In addition, employees are also entitled to participate in an employer sponsored 401(k) plan, to save for retirement. Pay and benefits for employees represented by a union are outlined in their collective bargaining agreement.
Under the direction of the Plant Manager and Operations Supervisors and in coordination with Operations, Maintenance, Industrial Pretreatment and Administration Personnel, the incumbent will:
- Follow functional and technical direction from Laboratory Technician 2.
- Perform laboratory and field chemical and biological analyses.
- Conduct research, set up, and carry out sampling and testing programs.
- Apply knowledge of principles and practices of chemistry, biology, microbiology and mathematics required in an analytical laboratory.
- Use standard laboratory practices and procedures, QA/QC procedures and other applicable standards to collect and analyze samples of wastewater and process residuals for a variety of parameters.
- Assist Operations in efforts to maintain efficient and cost effective facility operations while maintaining compliance with all Corporate and Regulatory environmental, health and safety rules and requirements.
- Collects samples and coordinates laboratory services with other work groups and contract labs.
- Processes and packages all samples to ship to independent laboratories
- Performs chemical, bacteriological and physical laboratory tests for the wastewater treatment plant.
- Prepares slides for microscopic analysis (wet mount and stained).
- Troubleshoots problems with sampling and analytical procedures.
- Maintain the quality system as established by quality system manual, audit the quality system for effectiveness.
- Enters laboratory results into Hach WIMS.
- Compiles data and prepares reports as it relates to laboratory sampling and analysis.
- Assists Supervisors and Management with preparation of regulatory and client reports.
- Assists Supervisors and Management with all efforts related to Contract Compliance.
- Assists Supervisors and Management to develop a culture of focus and engagement at the project to achieve EH&S excellence.
- Assist the EHS team with waste manifest and other required documentation for waste shipments.
- Assists Supervisors and Management with all efforts related to project/corporate and regulatory environmental, health and safety policies and procedures.
Note: Laboratory Technician 1 submits reports to the Laboratory Technician 2 and/or supervisor for approval prior to submission to Management.
- Lab Maintenance:
- Maintain and make general repairs to quality equipment and instrumentation.
- Performs, with some direction and supervision, a variety of operational and maintenance tasks relevant to maintaining safe and reliable operations of wastewater treatment facilities ensuring operational compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Works to ensure all laboratory tools and equipment are well maintained, inspected, tested, calibrated, and functioning properly.
- Performs cleanup and housekeeping tasks for work area, laboratory, tools, equipment, and facilities.
- Completes and maintains proper operational and laboratory documents and records
- Performs work in a safe and professional manner by following all corporate and regulatory policies, procedures, and emergency response procedures.
- Respond to emergencies, work weekends and holidays as needed.
- Works additional hours to complete required tasks as/and when needed.
- Operates company and client owned vehicles.
- Completes all assigned safety trainings.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- Work is performed both inside and outside with exposure to all kinds of weather conditions.
- Incumbent may be occasionally exposed to some noise, silica, dust, fumes, smoke, gases, greases, oils, electrical energy, solvents, and vibrations. Incumbent may work on slippery/uneven surfaces, around machinery with moving parts, moving objects/vehicles, and ladder/scaffolding, below ground and may be exposed to water and other liquid materials.
- High School diploma or equivalent, Associates Degree in Environmental Science, Biology/Laboratory or related fields preferred.
- Can be substituted for Trade School/Military Service or Technical School.
- Intermediate level, previous experience in an analytical laboratory performing chemical and biological analysis.
- One (1)+ years' experience required working in the Wastewater Treatment or related field.
- Knowledge of Wastewater Treatment Process, preferably in an activated sludge plant with sludge digestion, thickening and dewatering equipment preferred.
- Experience with operations and laboratory computer systems, software, and tools for the wastewater industry preferred.
- No physical restrictions that would prevent them from performing physical labor.
- Advanced level reading, math, writing, scientific and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to organize, and prioritize tasks and duties effectively.
- Ability to read, interpret, and record data from meters, gauges, scales, panels, computer consoles, and other equipment.
- Ability to understand/execute written and oral instructions, read/understand technical instructions.
- Ability to interpret data and information from technical service manuals and drawings, and write SOPs.
- Knowledge of Windows, MS Office Suite, HachWims, LabCal and other computer based systems.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform all laboratory sampling, testing and documenting and maintaining all related records and reports.
- Knowledge of hazardous chemicals and materials used in the laboratory, and of the care and maintenance of laboratory equipment including the ability to test equipment to ensure quality standards.
- Proficient in the operation and maintenance of complex specialty tools and equipment specific to departmental needs and requirements.
- Ability to translate management goals and objectives into effective work operations.
- Knowledge of wastewater equipment and processes.
- Knowledge of wastewater regulations, requirements & reporting.
- Knowledge of proper Environmental, Health and Safety policies, procedures and requirements.
- Must have the ability to maintain effective working relations w/management, supervisors and staff.
- Must be able to communicate well w/individuals at all skill, knowledge and experience levels.
- Must be able to work as a team in a teamwork-oriented environment.
- Must be safety conscious and able to work independently with no supervision.
- Valid NYS Driver's license and the ability to meet risk management guidelines.
- Valid NY State Class 2A Wastewater Treatment License or higher is a plus.
- One (1)+ years' experience in wastewater treatment plant O&M holding certification preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job:
- The employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this include close vision and distance vision.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer! All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Disclaimer: The salary, other compensation, and benefits information is accurate as of the date of this posting. The Company reserves the right to modify this information at any time, subject to applicable law.