The Nebraska Department of Education's Office of Human Resources is looking for a Human Resources Associate to join our dynamic team. This position will support the Office of Human Resources with a variety of administrative tasks to accomplish human resources objectives. This position provides customer service to NDE employees, stakeholders, and the public aligned with the values and strategic priorities of the Nebraska Department of Education.
This position is fixed term, with an end date of 9/30/2024.
Nebraska Department of Education employees are working from hybrid work locations. This approach includes both working in the work office and from a home office. The amount of time spent working from home or in the office is subject to supervisory approval and will be discussed at the interview.
Budgeted Salary Range:
$16.108 - $18.520 This range is based upon available budget funds. The selected candidate's skills, abilities, education, and experience will determine the salary offer within this posted range.
NDE is committed to advancing equity, inclusiveness, and diversity in all that we do. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, we encourage applications from ALL qualified candidates and assure they will receive consideration for this position regardless of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
This position is federally funded and may be governed by the Federal Hatch Act. Click here to review the Act.
Examples of Work
- Assists with talent acquisition processes; schedules interviews, notifies candidates, performs reference and background checks, prepares and delivers new employee notebooks, etc.
- Completes and processes onboarding paperwork (e.g., I-9, W-4, W-4N, direct deposit) and permanent verification.
- Provides information and technical assistance to NDE employees related to basic human resources inquiries, policies, and procedures.
- Assists with payroll change verifications and timecard review to ensure timecards are completed appropriately and by appropriate deadlines.
- Maintains NDE personnel electronic filing system and uploads employee documents to appropriate files.
- Processes On-The-Job (OJT) placements, reviews documents for compliance, and enters new information into Human Resource Information System.
- Updates and maintains Human Resources related web pages and social media outlets.
- Performs administrative duties and accounting work including preparing, maintaining, and processing financial records and documents, and accounts receivable and payable in the State of Nebraska accounting system and other accounting systems.
- Processes college coursework requests for other NDE staff and routes for approval.
- Notifies appropriate staff (e.g., central accounting, technology services) regarding new hires, promotions, payroll changes, and terminations.
- Processes orders for HR staff supplies, payments, and other staff documents.
- Demonstrates commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Possesses a valid driver's license, travels independently, and works in a variety of settings.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in cross functional human resources projects and initiatives.
- Assists with other Human Resources reports.
- Responds to requests for employee verification.
Qualifications / Requirements
High school diploma or equivalent and three years of experience related to the essential functions of the position. Any equivalent education and\or work experience may be substituted in order to meet the minimum qualifications of the position.
Postsecondary education or certification related to Human Resources, Business Administration, etc., and previous experience with State of Nebraska software and systems. Proficiency with a variety of software programs including Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Professional.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Website and social media management and best practices.
- General understanding of HR functions, policies, and procedures.
- Formats used in written business communications.
- English grammar, spelling, and composition needed for correspondence.
- Computer software necessary to carry out job responsibilities.
- Types and uses of office equipment.
- Office management principles, methods, and procedures.
- Established policies, procedures, practices of the Nebraska Department of Education.
- Advise agency staff and the public on agency policies and procedures.
- Plan, organize, and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Handle difficult and stressful situations with professional composure.
- Communicate orally and in writing with agency staff and the public.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Maintain the confidential nature of information.
- Understand, interpret, and apply rules, administrative policies, and program guidelines.
- Operate office equipment necessary to perform the required duties.
The Supplemental Questions section of the application assists us in determining candidates to interview, so answering them completely with requested details is highly encouraged. Each written response area has ample space to provide a complete response; due to screen size, we do not recommend filling out this application on small mobile devices.