GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
As a member of the Room Service team, the individual will be tasked to assist and deliver in a pleasant, friendly and timely manner patient specific high-quality food and exemplary service to patients, guests, and staff.
This position requires working with and assisting other members of the Room Service team and Hospital staff to ensure that all patients receive prescribed foods, and guests and staff receive requested food following Federal, State, Local and hospital sanitation and safety procedures. As outlined in the Food Service Department's HAACP program.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Prepare aesthetically pleasing and 100% accurate trays within 45 minutes of patient ordering meal.
2. Participate in a restaurant-style cold/hot production in preparing the highest quality food product in accordance to departmental standards. This includes preparing select food items for meal service.
3. Deliver complete and accurate trays and food requests no later than 45 minutes of placing order and collecting trays no later than 1 hour after tray delivery while compiling with the departmental policies and procedures for tray delivery and pickup. Including verifying patient's menu selections to food items served on the tray and then immediately fixing mistakes. Delivery of food requests could be to an inpatient or outpatient area of the hospital.
4. Act upon patient meal service requests either by resolving the issue directly or alerting issues to the call center or supervisor.
5. To contact a supervisor or diet tech to substitute an item.
6. Deliver nourishments to patient bedside and floor nourishment areas. According to guidelines, inventory and order nursing station refrigerator supplies.
7. Record nursing station refrigerator temperatures to document food stored according to state-local-JCAHO regulations.
8. Bill and collect the cost of a guest or staff order in the form of cash, check, or credit card. Does not accept gratuities to perform assigned work duties.
9. Adhere to hospital and departmental hand hygiene policy and procedures.
10. Inventory and restock food and equipment, prior to meal service and assure adequate levels during meal service.
11. To operate equipment for meal service, including coffeemaker, toaster, microwave oven, mixer, blender and other necessary equipment for meal service.
12. Clean and sanitize equipment according to departmental policy. Perform cleaning duties as assigned. May need to assist with dish room tasks.
13. Assist in orientation and on-the-job training of new Room Service Team members and Dietetic Interns.
14. For administrative purposes, monitor, collect and/or record operation specific data.
15. Perform duties of other Room Service Team members when required and skill appropriate.
16. Adhere to departmental and hospital policies and procedures and other foodservice regulations at all time.
17. Participate in and monitors, according to preset criteria, sanitation and safety procedures - including HACCP program.
18. Perform all other duties as assigned.
1. The position requires the ability to read, write and speak English, to follow and give oral and written instructions, to be able to communicate with patients, hospital personnel, and co-workers. This level is normally acquired through completion of a high school education.
2. Bilingual preferred.
3. High school education and 1-2 years of work experience preferably in food service or customer service. A basic supervisory course is strongly recommended.
4. Knowledge of therapeutic diet orders.
5. Knowledge of the food and restaurant regulations set by the federal, Massachusetts and Boston City Health Codes and Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Hospitals.
6. Must have computer skills and basic mathematics knowledge, including ability to work with money and cash registers.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1. Must be pleasant and friendly, flexible, hard-worker, and work well with others.
2. Must have good hand-eye coordination, good manual dexterity and a good attention span.
3. Must have the ability to communicate well in order to discuss semi-complex and involved information with other employees, staff members, patients or general public in a sensitive manner.
4. Must be able to maintain confidentiality of patient information obtained through the hospital computer system and employee information obtained from employee files.
5. Must be able to adhere and enforce new or updated policies and procedures.
6. Prior experience in the field of nutrition is a plus.
7. Ability to read, write, and speak another language is a plus.
8. Must be able to multi-task and handle pressure particularly associated with time constraints due to delivery requirements.
9. Must be able to inventory food, supplies and menus and make appropriate adjustments.
10. Must be able to take and record food and equipment temperatures accurately and appropriately.
1. Possible on feet for most part of the day (90%).
2. Involves occasional lifting of items up to 25 lbs., pushing and pulling food carts.
3. Works in heated and air-conditioned office, patient floor, and kitchen.
4. Work involves occupational risks commensurate with work hazards and physical requirements, i.e., wet slippery floors, chemical solutions, handling hot water and soup (180-190 degrees), frequent bending and tray handling.
5. Consequence of errors ranges from no harm to serious harm such as incorrect trays to patients, injured employees and broken equipment.
6. Work involves rotating shifts as early as 6:00 AM to as late as 11:30 PM, required to work weekends and holidays.
HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners; follows safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners, as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Posted about 12 hours ago
Posted about 6 hours ago
Posted 12 minutes ago