AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases.
2022 is an extraordinary time to be in Medical Affairs - the opportunity to improve the speed and quality of care for millions of people with long-term conditions around the world, to support healthcare systems to address health inequalities and variations in care, and to be the driving force behind
AstraZeneca's business strategy and development of a rich portfolio of innovative medicines, is remarkable. Bio-Pharmaceuticals Medical (BPM) at AstraZeneca is at the forefront of the industry but there remains significant headroom to grow - there is no better place to improve patients' lives and to develop your career as a Medically-orientated business leader than at AstraZeneca.
In order to accomplish our goals and enable the best patient outcomes, we look for AZ medical network leaders to have five (5) core capabilities and act as role models to our AZ values. These capabilities include:
• Track record of building and maintaining a deep and continued connection to Medical Practice/healthcare delivery
• Collaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goals
• Well-developed communication and influencing skills with the ability to distil complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders
• Strong financial/budget and project management skills
• Business acumen.
Reporting directly to the Medical Head of Lokelma, the Global Medical Affairs Leader (GMAL) will be charged with delivering ambitious medical strategies for our products within the hyperkalemia & cardiorenal therapy area. In so doing, the GMAL will play an important role in defining product strategies. The GMAL will execute the medical strategies globally through membership of the Global Medical Team, comprised of Medical Directors from the priority markets and relevant Global Medical Affairs functions. The role entails assisting in designing and leveraging high impact evidence activities and medical materials as well as demonstrating world-class scientific engagement with external experts and key stakeholders.
What you'll do:
• Design and manage the implementation of GMA product and disease area strategies
• Be a proactive member of the Global Medical Team (GMT) to ensure global strategy is effectively communicated and executed at regional and country levels and that regional/country needs are appropriately accommodated in global deliverables and drive customer insights and market needs from all countries into Global Product Team for review
• Collaborate cross-functionally with GMA functions (eg Global Medical Excellence & Medical Evidence)
• Closely follow medical developments and competitive landscapes within the hyperkalemia and cardiorenal therapy area and disseminate new information to transform clinical trends and emerging data into strategy
• Be an active contributor to the cross functional congress planning team
• Provide input, as needed, into labeling (USPI, SmPc) and core data sheet discussions
• Liaise with the internal and external medical community
• Deliver medical advocacy plans that drive successful launch of innovative and differentiated new medicines or indications within the hyperkalemia and cardiorenal therapy area
• Accountable for engaging and cultivating relationships with leading global thought leaders to gain contribution/participation in advisory boards, greater understanding of the therapeutic area, and insights into unmet patient needs
• Represents AZ at scientific and medical forums, including medical education forums, scientific roundtables, congresses, and symposia
• Responsible for the co-ordination of GMA activities, e.g. advisory board meetings, scientific exchange meetings
• Ensures alignment of publication and medical evidence plans
• Delegate for Senior GMAL or the Medical Head Lokelma, as required
• Responsibility for managing elements of the budget
• Provide medical strategic and scientific input into assessment of investigator initiated studies as part of the global review team
• Doctoral level degree: MD/PhD/PharmD
• 1--3 years experience in pharma, medical or clinical setting
• Expertise in a relevant or related therapy area
• Industry/Global Medical Affairs experience
• Demonstrated success in building and executing multi-year strategic roadmaps
• Track record of delivering results in a complex environment, delivering new and impactful medical initiatives
• Strong working relationships with global thought leaders, including key experts and opinion leaders, professional societies and other healthcare industries/organizations
• Experience launching new products or indications
• Experience interfacing with early and late development teams
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what's next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!