GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
In addition to performing any or all of the tasks performed by the Environmental Services Aide I, this position performs project work not normally a part of the daily cleaning routine. This position also performs specialized cleaning procedures for critical care areas such as operating rooms, dialysis, emergency services and ICU's.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Completes work in assigned areas by cleaning, sanitizing, and polishing environmental surfaces according to departmental and hospital policies & procedures
• Cleans (on a daily & routine basis) horizontal & vertical surfaces including (but not limited to) patient rooms, lavatories, offices, corridors, stairwells, elevators, treatment rooms, special care areas, conference rooms, locker rooms, lounges, and public areas
• Uses a variety of chemicals and equipment including (but not limited to) germicidal detergent, bleach, window cleaner, all purpose cleaner, stripper, floor finish, bucket/wringer, floor machine, vacuum cleaner, carpet extractor, and a variety of hand tools
• Empties/relines soiled laundry, waste & RMW containers according to department procedures. Contains & transports soiled laundry, waste & RMW to disposal site.
• Cleans & prepares post-discharge patient rooms according to department procedures
• Periodically removes & re-hangs window curtains & cubicle curtains
• Uses mechanical equipment & specialized processes to clean, strip, refinish & burnish hard-surface flooring. Shampoos & extracts carpeting
• Performs specialized cleaning in critical areas requiring aseptic technique and complex processes
• Routinely moves furniture/equipment utilizing dollies and hand carts
• Secures dysfunctional equipment against unauthorized use. Reports breakdowns to supervisor
• Performs other similar or related duties that may be assigned or as necessary.
• May be present in secure medication storage areas and are allowed incidental access to medications.
HS Diploma or GED preferred.
Basic ability to speak and understand English (oral & written)
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Requires physical ability to bend, stoop, reach & climb ladders. Must be able to lift in excess of 50 lbs several times per shift (e.g. waste & soiled laundry handling). Must be able to perform repetitive motions in the process of dry mopping, wet mopping, vacuuming, and hand scrubbing. Must be able to operate & control high-powered equipment.
Requires moderate level of verbal communication skills to interact with patients, visitors & staff, often under stressful situations
Requires technical knowledge of general & specialized cleaning procedures & products
Modern, updated facilities with exposure to blood, vomit, feces, urine, dirt, fumes & odors
• Denotes essential functions
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.