Director Corporate Affairs, Biopharmaceuticals Medical
Location: Gaithersburg, US or Cambridge, UK (Cambridge Preferred)
Astra Zeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development, and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious disease. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies.
As a high performing team, we are united and motivated by our shared purpose - to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. We come to work each day to make a difference - to patients, society, and our company.
The Director Corporate Affairs, Biopharmaceuticals Medical (BPM) is responsible for leading all communications activities on behalf of the BPM organisation within the Biopharmaceuticals Business Unit (BBU).
AstraZeneca BPM has a rich heritage in delivering practice changing clinical evidence that has facilitated fundamental shifts in global guidelines for the treatments of chronic diseases, either through large-scale clinical trials or via real world data, as well as being a recognised industry leader in healthcare pathway redesign programmes, touching the lives of more than 10 million patients with chronic diseases every year.
In order to extend its strategic leadership and external impact, both for Medical within AZ and for AstraZeneca as whole externally, BPM aims to significantly step up its communications capability and presence. To this end, the Director Communications for BPM will lead the development and implementation of a transformational global communications strategy, central to the whole Medical function's ambition (Global and Medical in all of AZ's marketing companies) to advance clinical practice and reduce the global burden of long-term conditions in the therapy areas where we focus, in line with the BBU's Transforming Healthcare Delivery agenda and the AstraZeneca's Growth Through Innovation strategy.
The successful candidate will be a communications expert with a deep knowledge of how health systems work and how to engage HCP, patients and other stakeholders (policy makers, payers) with a view to advancing clinical practice and creating new opportunities for partnership. The role requires an ability translate BPM's unique medical missions and practice-changing evidence into marketing communications and resources that showcase what we stand for as an organisation, creating a springboard for expansive partnerships, healthcare policy reform and practice change, at scale.
The Director Corporate Affairs report to the VP BioPharma Global Corporate Affairs and will be a member of both the BPM and BioPharma Corporate Affairs Leadership Teams, collaborating closely with colleagues across Medical, Global Corporate Affairs and other functions to ensure a coordinated and compliant approach to the strategy and its execution.
Capabilities and Experience
- Lead the design and execution of a global corporate affairs strategy for the BPM organisation. The strategy will include global external communications - positioning, materials and engagement strategies - to support partnerships with healthcare systems and healthcare professionals. In addition, the role is also required to drive internal communications and engagement on BPM's ambitious agenda, both across the enterprise and within BPM itself.
- Includes co-creation and ongoing maintenance of plans/resources based on insights from global and marketing company (MC) teams that position AstraZeneca BioPharma as a partner of choice. The narrative articulates flagship AstraZeneca programmes and healthcare transformation capabilities. Multi-media materials include resources that effectively advance the BPM organisation's role as partner of choice in collaborating with healthcare systems on initiatives/opportunities to improve care.
- Builds and implements a marketing/communications plan for BPM's 'Evidence Powerhouse' pipeline - raising expectations and level of awareness regarding new clinical data and maximising the impact of high impact publications and oral presentations at major congresses.
- Sets and drives achievement of MC-level targets on use of communications strategies/resources in securing/advancing healthcare system partnership and tracking of success. Establishes any needed steering committees and relevant network of global/MC-contacts to oversee programme implementation.
- Develops and implements strategies for the flagship programmes that deliver BPM's agenda as part of AstraZeneca's broader BioPharma and strategic initiatives to transform healthcare.
- Ensures alignment of activities with BioPharma R&D GCA team to maximise impact and pull through to key medical and science audiences. Aligns with therapy area GCA teams to maximise synergies with flagship market shaping programmes.
- Drive external engagement for the BPM organisation through use of external events and communications through appropriate channels. Includes developing digital strategies/plans using AstraZeneca's global corporate digital channels and paid-for/organic digital campaigns/content to meet agreed strategic goals. Also includes identifying and maximising external events including medical congresses. Secures MC participation/utilisation of global initiatives to achieve mutually agreed objectives.
- Initiate, cultivate and maintain external relationships with high-level influencers to protect, nurture and build the reputation of the busines; could include external experts, NGOs, advocacy groups, scientific societies, partners, peer company, health authority or government contacts. Provide input to the Global Medical strategy through external stakeholder insights (patient groups, government activity, trade associations, NGOs, policy developments) and strong networking with the Global Corporate Affairs organisation.
- Deliver/execute the internal communications plan to inform, engage, and motivate employees as the Global Medical organisation organises to achieve its transformative agenda. Applies understanding of change management communications and engagement strategies in delivering impactful internal initiatives and leadership communications. Establishes framework for and oversees key internal communications channels, enabling the organisation to effectively engage day to day.
- Lead and manage communications for the SVP of BPM, overseeing the development of presentations and talking points for external and internal engagements.
- Maintains strong network/contacts with agencies and contractors to support varying resource needs. Supports and oversees internal secondments/placements and contractors to support incremental flexible resource requirements within BioPharma Corporate Comms. Oversees quality and compliance of work.
- Develop and deliver approaches across the franchise for evaluating success of corporate affairs activities including KPIs, metrics, sentiment analysis, reputational research, return-on-investment evaluations, externally validated outcomes.
- Demonstrate enterprise leadership and role model value-aligned behaviour.
- Experience in working with or for healthcare systems or healthcare system policy makers or funders/payers.
- Strong global pharmaceutical corporate and therapy area/product communications capability including technical skills across written/digital/multi-media communications.
- Proven ability to develop and deliver successful outcomes via multi-year, cross-functional programmes spanning multiple disciplines (eg communications, medical affairs, commercial).
- Proven ability to serve as an engaged, credible member of a high-performing leadership team, with a successful record of providing effective advice and thought partnership to senior leaders. Strong ability to translate new or evolving strategies into effective communications including via PowerPoint and digital strategies..
- Expertise in building a shared vision, inspiring commitment and mobilising organisations around communications priorities/programmes. Able to lead initiatives in matrixed organisations with deployed (not direct report) resources.
- Experience in running successful global initiatives that are co-created and with country-level input and achieve both global and local deliverables/metrics.
- Track record for successfully developing and delivering corporate or therapeutic area narratives, ambitions and visual identities.
- Track record for successfully developing and delivering internal communications and initiatives to achieve employee engagement.
- Strong presence and acumen advising pharmaceutical leaders.
- Bachelor's degree is required; scientific and/or advanced degrees a plus.
- Broad understanding of healthcare systems and healthcare system policies.
- Expertise in global therapeutic/product, 'above brand' and corporate communications for biopharmaceutical organisations.
- Expertise employee, digital and leader communications, campaigns, business partnering, change communication and event management.
- Knowledge of compliance frameworks for communications (eg the UK Pharmaceutical Code of Practice).
- Knowledge of ways of working for global, matrixed biopharmaceutical organisations and its operating environment.
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and spark your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.So, what's next?
Where can I find out more?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it's yours
Our Social Media,
- Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn - LinkedIn
- Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook - Facebook
- Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram - Instagram
Opening Date: 07/07/2022
Closing Date: 07/08/2022
Competitive salary and benefits apply
This job has expired.