Provides departmental support byperforming receptionist and clerical duties. Demonstrates and provides exemplarycustomer service that is friendly, helpful, and reduces anxiety to allpatients, peers, physicians, and NWH departments. Performs word processing and data entry inmultiple computer systems. Answers multiple telephone lines; takes calls,screens and relays messages, and/or provides information to caller. Files and retrieves information asneeded. Maintains various databases ofpatient information. Prepares departmental charts. Orders and maintainsinventory of supplies. Processes requests for information/medical recordsaccording to guidelines. Registers newpatients and updates existing patient information with strict attention todetail and maintains patient privacy. Schedules appointments within the department. Enters charges appropriately for hospitalbilling.
- Maintains a strong command of hospital registration/scheduling system. This includes registering new patients, updating patient information, scheduling and rescheduling appointments as necessary. Multitasks when needed to include checking patients in, collecting co-pays, insurance verification.
- Answers multi line telephone system promptly and gathers screening information; takes, relays and manages messages and/or provides routine information. Retrieves voicemail messages, returning calls or forwarding messages as needed.
- Organizes and maintains patient records, logs and other controlling systems; retrieves files as needed. Develops and maintains systems to assure accurate, confidential, retrievable information.
- Greets patients and their families; prepares and assists with all documentation necessary for completion of chart, insurance authorization, outcomes analysis and third-party payor requirements.
- Photocopies and releases information to appropriate parties, including copies for subpoenas, third party administrators, patients.
- Referral management, specialty testing prior authorization and scheduling of special testing.
- Confirms upcoming patient appointments, verifies pertinent information directly impacting upcoming appointments.
- Demonstrates understanding of the legal implications disseminating patient information.
- Greets, directs and/or assists patients. Assesses and prioritizes patient needs. Assists patients with forms if necessary.
- Assists with surgical scheduling for providers in the practice, including:
o Obtains referral information related tosurgery, prepares billing materials as required for both surgical, inpatientand outpatient billing needs.
o Coordinates operational needs relatedto surgical and appointment booking, including maintaining operating roomschedules and OR block time management and collaborating with various hospitaland surgical offices related to scheduling the appropriate needs for surgery,which may include co-surgeon collaborations. . Provides and coordinates patientappointments to include processes related to cancelled appointments andsurgeries.
o Functions as a point person for allsurgical related questions/issues. Interacts in a courteous manner withphysicians, nurses, and administrative staff within and outside of MGH tocoordinate surgeries for patients, obtain referrals, provide feedback, answerquestions, etc.
o Provides patient scheduling support fordesignated physicians, and provides cross coverage support as needed for otherstaff.
- Keeps management update to date on all upcoming scheduling problems/conflicts, including insurance/referral related issues.
- Opens, sorts, distributes, prioritizes and/or files incoming documents, mail and other correspondence.
- Maintains, orders and stocks inventory of supplies and makes recommendations regarding needs.
• Works collegially withprivate practice office/support operations personnel to support patient flowand operations.
- Completes other special projects and administrative tasks that are assigned on a routine basis.
• High school graduate or equivalent with minimum two years medical office experience; Associate degree preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, data entry and other PC based applications required.
• Knowledge of medical terminology required.
• Proficient in verbal and written communication.
• Demonstrated evidence of:
• effective communication skills
• ability to problem solve
• ability to get along with others
• ability to confront issues appropriately
• ability to handle confidential and potentially sensitive information