There's never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won't happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
This is a truly unique opportunity to join at the foundational stage of a start-up leading the transformation of the auto insurance experience with the backing of the largest connected vehicle fleet in the world. If you share our vision of making auto insurance pricing fairer and more transparent and increasing customer value through personalized experiences, then OnStar Insurance is the place for you. At OnStar Insurance, your contributions will directly impact the customer and achieving our mission.
OnStar Insurance was launched in 2020 and will be in all US states by end of 2021. OnStar Insurance Services intends to leverage its unique understanding of the vehicles GM produces to offer a secure, fair, personalized and easy-to-use digital insurance experience for drivers. GM has the largest connected vehicle fleet worldwide. In the US alone, there are currently 9M+ connected GM vehicles on the road and that number is projected to triple in the next 10 years. More than that, the OnStar system currently has access to over 900 data points from the vehicle. This surge in information about vehicles and how they are driven will revolutionize auto insurance. This disruption is backed by the bold GM vision of zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion. We are serious about the safety and financial security of our customers. Does making auto insurance fairer, more transparent, and beneficial for our customers sound appealing to you? Does the volume and breadth of our data get you excited? If so, we may have the role you are looking for.
Data Engineers implement efficient data pipelines supporting business intelligence, analytics, and operational needs. They are proficient in investigating, transforming, and combining data of different data sources and types. Ideal candidates are prepared to design appropriate architecture to support business data needs and create consumable analysis-ready data sets.
Data Engineers educate business partners on the use and sources of data. They identify and explore new data sources. Assignments may include supporting data science R&D, model deployment by IT and other technical professionals, overseeing support of other engineers, and collaboration with analytical, technical, and business partners within and across business teams. This position is remote. Some travel may be required.
Additional Job DescriptionMinimum Qualifications:
- Creates and maintains optimal data pipeline architecture for extraction, transformation, and loading of data from various data sources - both internal and external
- Builds analytical tools to utilize the data pipeline
- Assembles large, complex sets of data that meet non-functional and functional business requirements
- Builds industrialized analytic datasets and delivery mechanisms that utilize the data pipeline to deliver actionable insights
- Identifies, designs, and implements internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Contributes to the architecture and design for scalable and efficient model deployments
- Investigates data, data sources and performs data quality analysis
- Communicates and maintains master data, metadata, data management repositories, logical data models, data standards
- Works with stakeholders including the executive, product, data, and design teams to support their data infrastructure needs while assisting with data-related technical issues
- Establishes and teaches best practices related to data access and queries for data users
- With appropriate direction, plans, implements, manages, and/or contributes on projects that are moderate complexity and scale using accepted project management standards
- 2+ years of hands-on experience with Big Data Tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Proficient with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and Cassandra
- Experienced with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
- Experienced with Stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- 2+ years with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
- Familiarity with geospatial data: latitude/longitude, geopoint/vector containers, geohash, H3, shapefiles, etc.
- Familiarity with personal lines insurance policy and claim data, vehicle telematics data, OEM vehicle data is strongly preferred
- Experienced with data wrangling and preparation for use within data science, actuarial, business intelligence or similar analytical workflows
- A demonstrable understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multi-disciplinary groups
- High-level organizational and project management skills in order to handle assignments in a timely manner and to monitor own process
- Strong decision-making skills
- Bachelor's degree in information technology, computer science, data science, engineering, mathematics, statistics/applied statistics, or related field
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
This job has expired.