Improving the Health of our Community in All We Do
Northeast Georgia Health System (NGHS) is a non-profit community health system on a mission of improving the health of our community in all we do. Our team cares for more than 1 million people across the region through four hospitals and a variety of outpatient locations. Northeast Georgia Medical Center (NGMC) has campuses in Gainesville, Braselton, Winder and Dahlonega - with a total of more than 700 beds and more than 1,100 medical staff members representing more than 50 specialties. NGHS also encompasses Northeast Georgia Physicians Group, a multi-specialty group with more than 65 locations, and The Heart Center of Northeast Georgia Medical Center, a cardiology practice with more than 15 locations.
If you are an energetic Registered Nurse who enjoys being part of a collaborative and talented team then a rewarding career with Northeast Georgia Health System is where you want to be!
NGHS is currently seeking a Charge Nurse for our Medical/Surgical Unit in Barrow
Full-Time, Night Shift (7p-7a)
Barrow Med/Surg is a 24-bed unit. Care is provided for a wide variety of illnesses, including, but not limited to:
- Respiratory: COPD, Pneumonia, Flu
- GI: Abdominal Pain (non-surgical), N/V/D, Gastrititis
- GI Bleed
- Pancreatitis, Cirrhosis
- Medical Neuro (AMS, Dementia
- Medical patients with trachostomy from previous admission
The Charge Nurse
, under the direct and indirect supervision of the Nurse Manager or administrative supervisor, facilitates and assists with all levels of Nursing care provided to patients within a Nursing unit or practice location. The Charge Nurse will assist Clinical Nurses with day to day problem solving and will facilitate communication between care team providers. He/She coordinates, elevates and resolves problems and conflicts as they occur. The Charge Nurse assumes shift accountability for patient flow, matching patient needs with available resources, and elevates patient safety concerns/situations as well as any other situation that is unable to be resolved during the shift. The Charge Nurse leadership role is critical to improving the quality of care provided on the individual Nursing unit/practice setting. In addition to these responsibilities, when needed the Charge Nurse may assume all or partial staff nurse responsibilities. The Charge Nurse is the first level of administration assigned to the unit in the absence of the Nurse Manager. The Charge Nurse participates in Peer Interviewing and Peer Evaluation. The Charge Nurse is included in worked hours per patient day (WHPPD) and is assigned by self to direct patient care assignment as unit need indicates. The Charge Nurse assists in the advancement of the professional practice environment by communicating the NGHS Nursing strategic direction and focusing on activities that support the Nursing strategic direction. Provides Nursing involvement support for VOICE and the NDNQI quality teams including supporting team members in their professional participation. Assists with overall clinical governance and other projects as assigned.We're looking for someone who
More Awards and Accolades.
- Admits mistakes and shortcomings
- Communicates Effectively
- Takes Initiative
- Promotes Teamwork
- Adapts to Change
Job Specific & Unique Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Meets all certifications requirements defined by unit (BLS, ACLS, PALS)
- Demonstrates strong clinical expertise and judgement
- Strong computer skills (defined by unit)
- Strong leadership/management skills and abilities
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills
Essential Tasks & Responsibilities
- Functions as part of the leadership team directly accountable to the Nurse Manager.
- Accepts responsibility for achieving objectives through individual work activities and the outputs of the care team.
- Provides guidance to staff members, assesses staff performance, and provides feedback to the Nurse Manager or Nursing Supervisor. Has responsibility of timely evaluation and completion of assigned formal employee evaluations.
- Oversees completion of unit specific administrative tasks (PI audits, code charts, bed meetings)
- Accesses and follows policies
- Serves as a role model to other employees and consistently demonstrates skills and characteristics the organization values
- Plans for changes in staffing or an influx of admissions or discharges.
- Delegates work and make staffing assignments appropriate and fairly.
- Handles stress and manages crisis situations efficiently and effectively. When crisis occurs, assesses the strengths and weaknesses of the care team and demonstrates the ability to make or adjust assignments.
- Analyzes errors, takes accountability, and finds ways to help the staff improve performance through process improvement initiatives.
- Uses effective time management skills
- Maintains accessibility and visibility on the unit-rounding with staff, managers, or physicians if necessary.
- Occasionally lifting up to 50 lbs
- Occassionally carrying up to 20 lbs
- Occasional kneeling/stooping/bending
- Frequent standing/walking
- Occasional pushing/pulling
- Frequent intensive work, requires reading, writing, reasoning, & talking
Normal duties may involve contact or potential exposure to blood or other potentially infectious or hazardous materials. Appropriate personal protective equipment is to be used whenever potential exists
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
Associate Nursing degree.
Licensed to practice as an RN in Georgia.
Professional organization membership within 3 months of hire into the role
One-year experience in a direct patient care role in an acute care environment and in the specialty.
Nursing Degree (either BSN or MSN) strongly encouraged within 5 years
Three years of direct patient care experience in an acute care environment and within the specialty.
Ranked in the Top 10% in the nation by CareChex® for Stroke Care, Cancer Care, Pneumonia Care and Surgical Care, the System is the recipient of numerous accolades including:
- Georgia's #1 Surgery Hospital by CareChex®
- Georgia's #1 Heart Hospital by CareChex® - 12 years in a row
- Georgia's #1 Women's Hospital by CareChex®
- Georgia's #1 Pulmonary Hospital
- One of Metro Atlanta's Top Workplaces for the 7th year in a row
The Blue Ridge Mountains are less than a 30-minute drive and Lake Sidney Lanier is next door. Whatever setting suits your mood, you'll find it right here.
- 47 public parks
- 8 championship golf courses
- 34 tennis courts
- 10 marinas
Atlanta, with its abundance of sports including the Atlanta Braves, Hawks, Falcons, and Georgia Swarm, as well as entertainment attractions, is less than an hour to the south.NGHS is committed to and will provide equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or veteran status.
This job has expired.