Biomedical Engineering Position in Translational Research (Entry Level)
Harris Orthopaedics Laboratory
The pioneering efforts of the Harris Orthopaedics Laboratory have positively impacted the quality of life of millions of patients through innovation and evidence-based medicine since its inception in 1969. The mission of the laboratory is to improve patient outcomes through materials science and clinical research with an emphasis on orthopaedic applications.
Harris Orthopaedics Lab is focused on the development of polymeric and hybrid materials for applications in orthopaedics. We are seeking a highly motivated individual for an entry-level research position to support our translational research program in implantable biomaterial development, with multiple openings starting in June 2021 or earlier. This position is ideal for new engineering graduates interested in the in the medical appications of basic research and is a great opportunity for those who want to gain some experience before moving into industry or continuing their education in graduate studies.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
Specific technical functions:
- Laboratory formulation including preparation of macromers, polymers, polymer blends, polymeric consolidation
- Modification of polymers including outside services such as radiation processing
- Characterization of polymers on-site and local off-site research facilities including drug elution, mechanical and fatigue testing, wear testing, thermal and structural characterization
- May include bacterial culture studies on processed polymeris materials using various assays
- May include support for pre-clinical testing including preparing tissue specimens for post-surgical analysis and characterization of retrieved implants
- May include processing of data such as gait analysis and micro-computed tomography image analysis
General laboratory functions:
- Assembly, operation, maintaining operation protocols, scheduling management and some maintenance of assigned equipment
- Ordering supplies and keeping track of related inventory
- Maintaining clean equipment, glassware and laboratory space
- Working alongside other research technicians, MD students, PhD students and post-doctoral fellows
- Organizing and accurately maintaining written records of procedures and data
- Generating and compiling experimental information/results in graphs, charts, and reports.
- Preparing written and/or verbal reports for supervisor and/or senior research personnel.
- Collaborating with team members and supervisor(s) in developing research methodologies and research objectives
- Collaborating with team members and supervisor(s) in writing and editing material for publication; opportunity for authorship in publications
- Must have BS. Non-engineering degrees will ONLY be considered with relevant experience.
- Must have at least one non-course based laboratory research experience, such as a summer internship or research assistantship.
- Coursework and/or internship experience in biomaterials with emphasis on polymeric materials a plus.
- Coursework and/or laboratory experience with bacterial culture methods or animals a plus
- Robust written and oral communication skills, attention to detail, and strong organizational skills are all expected. Independence, self-motivation, and a willingness to learn new skills are also vital for succeeding in this position.
- Must have solid, practical skills in Microsoft Office applications. Demonstrated proficiency in Matlab is a plus.
This position requires strong academic performance (minimum 3.2 GPA is preferred). The ideal candidate will also have had prior research experience. Preference will be given to a candidate planning to matriculate at a medical or graduate school in 2023 or later.How to Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and your unofficial transcript to Slav Lerner, email@example.com by January 31, 2021. Also, please apply via the Massachusetts General Hospital careers website. We will start reviewing the applications as we receive them. Earlier applicants will receive priority.
Candidates who plan to get F-1 visa OPT authorization are welcome to apply.EEO Statement
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.