Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee's role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed.
The Battery Cell Enclosure Engineer is responsible for developing and managing requirements for mechanical design of advanced automotive battery cells and integrate into modules for electric vehicle applications. The ideal candidate exudes a passion for excellence in engineering and seeks solutions to challenging electrification problems with strong personal leadership and communication skills and foundational understanding of engineering principles.
Additional Job DescriptionRequirements:
- Technical lead for mechanical design and specifications for lithium ion battery cells.
- Overseeing mechanical design and application of CAE to insure mechanical integrity assessments to industry standards.
- Managing cell mechanical requirements documents for lithium ion battery cells.
- Supporting cell level mechanical design and validation requirements through cross functional collaboration between energy storage engineering, vehicle design/structures, and safety.
- Supporting development of RFI requirements for battery cells.
- Support critical design review process for lithium ion cells in all formats.
- Maintain lessons learned, holding regular meetings with cell/module/pack design teams.
- Member of cross functional team supporting battery pack design and release engineering.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or Equivalent.
- Minimum THREE (3) years in product development and/or design release for lithium ion battery modules and cells.
- Understanding of energy storage systems and vehicle electrification.
- Good Analytical and Problem Solving Skills.
- Familiar with Electric vehicle standards and HEV - Highly Motivated and Self-Starter.
- Experience with requirements flow and development.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- MS in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or Equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience working directly with battery supply base.
- Experience with PPAP process.
- Excellent quality, manufacturing and product assurance planning skills.
- Ability to resolve conflicting requirements across multiple organizations.
- Possess excellent leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Working understanding of PFMEA, DFMEA, and DVP&R.
- Familiar with FEA, CAE, and CFD, and thermal analytical tools - Good communication, problem solving, computer and presentation skills.
- Detail oriented with solid engineering design experience established through release of multiple products from concept through launch.
- Proficient in CAD manipulation and understanding of capability of mechanical CAE tools.
- Experience with various manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, metal stamping, thermoforming, welding/brazing, die casting, plating, heat treating, bonding and direct machine shop skills.
- Expertise with DFSS (Black Belt) during design, validation and/or launch of products.
- Expertise in reactive problems solving (Shainin, Red X, etc.).
- Experience in cell mechanical testing.
- Mechanical hardware design release experience with some battery cell design experience.
- Overseeing mechanical design and application of CAE to insure mechanical integrity assessments to automotive standards.
- Supporting cell level design and validation requirements through cross functional collaboration between energy storage engineering, vehicle design/structures, and safety.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.Benefits Overview
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.