Responsible for making coverage determinations for liability claims submitted under policies for which AmTrust North America is the claims administrator. The job entails providing guidance to claim adjusters, supervisors and managers concerning coverage for claims under policies as well as approving coverage positions prior to issuance and acting as the coverage adjuster on litigated coverage claims. The Coverage Counsel position maintains a solid understanding of AmTrust's mission, vision, and values along with upholding the standards of the AmTrust organization.
- Provide coverage analysis to branch offices;
- Give guidance on additional investigation that may be required to resolve coverage issues
- Communicate with underwriting for policy issue clarification
- Inform concerning jurisdictional nuances
- Determine if outside coverage counsel advice is needed
- Review and approve coverage position letters drafted by claims adjusters prior to issuance;
- Make referrals to and communicate with outside coverage counsel;
- Ensure timely reporting from counsel
- Review and analyze opinions
- Provide recommendations to branch offices and VP Claims based on counsel opinions
- Handle complex coverage issues/claims;
- Draft coverage positions on complicated issues
- Communicate and strategize with branch office concerning settlement of underlying claims
- Adjust litigated coverage claims
- Make appropriate coverage counsel assignments;
- Review and analyze substantive documents/reports drafted by coverage counsel - complaints, answers, initial case evaluations, initial discovery disclosures, deposition summaries, pre-trial reports;
- Ensure timely filing and reporting by coverage counsel;
- Make decisions concerning development/direction of coverage litigation;
- Report developments in coverage action to underlying claim adjuster/supervisor;
- Update appropriate log/reporting system re developments concerning suits against AmTrust companies;
Qualifications Qualifications: Required:
- D. American Bar Association accredited law school
- 5+ years industry experience in Complex Claims
- Focus on coverage issues preferred
- Analytical and human relations skills are critical
- Effective communication skills; ability to obtain information from others and deliver information to others orally and in written form.
- Certifications and/or professional designations preferred (examples, AIC, CPCU, ARM, etc.).
This job description is designed to provide a general overview of the requirements of the job and does not entail a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities that will be required in this position. AmTrust has the right to revise this job description at any time.
What We Offer
AmTrust Financial Services offers a competitive compensation package and excellent career advancement opportunities. Our benefits include: Medical & Dental Plans, Life Insurance, including eligible spouses & children, Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, 401k Savings Plans, Paid Time Off.
AmTrust strives to create a diverse and inclusive culture where thoughts and ideas of all employees are appreciated and respected. This concept encompasses but is not limited to human differences with regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, culture, religion or disabilities.
AmTrust values excellence and recognizes that by embracing the diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives of its workforce, it will sustain a competitive advantage and remain an employer of choice. Diversity is a business imperative, enabling us to attract, retain and develop the best talent available. We see diversity as more than just policies and practices. It is an integral part of who we are as a company, how we operate and how we see our future.
This job has expired.