As part of the growing Donor Relations team within the Mass General Development Office, this new Assistant Director position will be charged with managing donor-established funds in collaboration with Development colleagues and hospital partners. The Assistant Director will manage fund setup, track utilization, conduct periodic audits, ensure compliance with gift agreements, reconcile fund usage issues and develop systems to minimize risk and ensure adherence to donor intent and compliance with hospital policies. Also, the Assistant Director will review, draft, and track gift agreements and manage endowed fund financial reporting.
The Assistant Director will partner closely with hospital faculty and administrative directors, and other system and hospital partners, such as the Office of General Counsel, Mass General Finance, and the Mass General Brigham Finance and Investment Offices. The Assistant Director will manage one direct report.
We are looking for someone with excellent organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and writing skills in addition to strong project management experience.
Diversity and inclusion are priorities for our office and the hospital. We strongly believe that encouraging a broad range of opinions, ideas and perspectives drives creativity, innovation and excellence. In the Development Office, we are committed to advancing equity by building a team with diverse identities and experiences.
Due to COVID-19 workplace safety guidelines, our team members are presently working remotely, with some exceptions. Until a return to our on-site office setting is approved by hospital leadership, interviews will be conducted virtually. We remain flexible and are prepared to discuss your needs during this time.
Click here to learn more about our team and what it's like to work with us.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee new fund account setup and inquiries, working closely with the Senior Development Officer, Donor Relations to research and examine historical records, evaluate donor intent and advise key stakeholders on potential alternate or expanded use and any associated risk
- Monitor funds to ensure compliance with gift agreements and donor intent
- Troubleshoot endowment compliance issues and develop controls and reporting to identify and minimize risks
- Update training materials and resources regarding endowment and current use/sundry fund administration and develop educational materials and guides regarding compliance
- Develop and conduct internal training sessions on best practices, endowment and current use/sundry fund administration and compliance issues
- Support the gift agreement process, including reviewing and drafting gift agreements, amendments and addendums working with key internal and external stakeholders, and troubleshoot complex gift situations in consultation with the Director of Development, Donor Relations
- Assist with developing and maintaining standard gift agreement templates, as well as related tools, materials and resource guides
- Oversee the development and distribution of digital and printed endowed fund and, as requested, current use/sundry fund financial reporting in collaboration with the Senior Development Officer, Information Management colleagues and Mass General Finance
- Participate in professional development opportunities, including internal volunteer or job shadowing roles when appropriate
- Prepare and regularly update planning documents and progress reports
- Contribute to maintaining positive office morale, even in the face of high work volume and challenging periods
- Assist the team with recruitment activities for vacancies as needed
- Take on other office-wide duties as needed
- Adhere to the mission, credo, and standards of behavior of Mass General
This position requires a minimum of 3-5 years of related work experience, with an emphasis in donor relations, stewardship and/or gift administration, and a bachelor's degree. Also, the ideal candidate should possess the following skills and abilities:
- Organizational, time management and project management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Adaptability and flexibility in times of shifting priorities
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse audiences
- Creativity and high levels of energy and enthusiasm
- Commitment to adopting best practices and maximizing efficiency
- Command of Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
- Competency using videoconferencing platforms (Zoom and Microsoft Teams preferred)
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving skills
- Professionalism and a strong work ethic
- Awareness of personal work styles in self and others
- Inclination to build relationships with people inside and outside of the organization
- Good judgement and care in dealing with confidential information
- Proficiency with Blackbaud CRM or similar CRM fundraising database preferred
Massachusetts General Hospital is one of the world's top academic medical centers. It is the third oldest general hospital in the United States and the original and largest teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, where nearly all our staff physicians serve on the faculty.
In 1811, Mass General was founded to serve its neighbors and those in need, a commitment that is just as strong today as it was two centuries ago; the only difference is what it means to be a "neighbor." Our community today extends far beyond Boston's borders. And as we strive to make a difference today in the health of our communities near and far, we prepare for the future by educating the next generation of clinicians and scientists.
Mass General is consistently named as a top hospital by U.S. News & World Report, and the "Best Hospitals to Work For" by jobseekers and employees on Indeed.com.Other best employer awards come from the Boston Globe, Glassdoor and Women's Choice. The Development Office
The Development Office is a vibrant and collaborative team focused on advancing the hospital's mission of health care excellence. We are committed to expanding the philanthropy that makes this mission possible.
We offer a competitive package including generous health care and retirement plans, positions in a variety of program areas and a flexible work environment. We also provide an array of professional growth and development opportunities. The Campaign for Mass General
This is a pivotal moment in medicine and Mass General is poised to lead the way. That's why we launched The Campaign for Mass General,
a bold fundraising campaign with a working goal of $3 billion. Through this ambitious effort, we seek to align our institutional goals in patient care, research, education, and community health with the philanthropic interests of our donors and prospects.How to apply
All applicants must apply online via www.massgeneral.org. Applications must include a current resume and a cover letter detailing applicable experience and accomplishments.EEO Statement
Mass General is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected groups such as veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.